D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Soon after our heroes left their headquarters, they encountered a caravan that sported the symbol of Bane's Cult on their wagons. Our heroes ruthlessly engage these forces, dropping grenades into the center of their ranks. The fastest dragonborn in the land hacks friction to perform a 25 foot sliding leg sweep with zero running start. The huntress leaps in to engage one of the leaders. The winged warlock holds down their troops with a hypnotic spell. The elf bashes some mook heads, and the tinman goes on a rampage. Everything was feeling easily handled until the abomination broke free of one of the carts. It killed many of its "allies" in its awakening, but seemed to see them as expendable as our heroes.
This abomination hit like a dragon. This nearly killed the elf, but our dragonborn sped in to drag her from harm. The tinman and the huntress split its attention and the dragonborn does many run-by punches. The abomination's cleaver carves deep into the tinmans chest, and it takes his raw willpower stay hang on to life. The elf has managed to heal herself by now and takes up the tinmans place sharing the horror's focus with the huntress.
Our heroes manage to whittle away its vital essence until its demise is assured. The Winged Warlock's spell blasts combos with the Huntress, Elf and dragonborn's attacks to knock it towards the tinman; who, from death's door, manages to raise his axe for the killing blow!
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 pm

YES!!! Now that was a fight!
Grynn breathes heavily as she pours holy water over her wounds to cancel the necrotic energy.
Now to finish off the peons, maybe leave one alive to interrogate.
Casually starts cleaning the horrible whatever from her swords on the downed captains uniform.
Very disappointing, you allow men to trust their lives to your leadership, you dare to transport such a dangerous creation, you couldn't land a single blow.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 pm

You always have had a strange idea of fun. Could you pick through what's left of the wagons when you have a moment?

Begins tending to Siege's injuries.

Hell and damnation. That... that thing did a number on him. Focus! No time to relax, you have work to do.

Siege, I'm going to try and heal your wounds. Tell me if anything doesn't feel right, okay? I don't have much experience with Warforged.
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 am

The looting can wait until I get back. I'm not in the mood for those four to bring back reinforcements.
Grynn unhitches the only horse that wasn't broken or killed in the battle, and begins to methodically follow their tracks. They're all  heading North, toward the coast, which means they must believe help is closer there than from whence they came.
Trotting a bit faster than walking speed, Grynn sets a pace any horse should be able to keep for hours. It seems they aren't worrying about each other as they flee, as she finds one struggling to put one foot in front of the other.
A flick of the wrist sees her sword pass through his throat before he could beg for water, or mercy. Any thirst he may have had is quenched as he drowns on his own blood.
An hour later, two pairs of tracks turn East, towards some rocky outcrops. They had decided it was best to try to hide, rather than exhaust themselves. Unfortunately, desert brush doesn't burn cleanly, and a trickle of smoke seeped out of their cave. They will be there in a couple hours, after I've dealt with the last.
Grynn continues to follow the tracks North, until footprints change from walking, to crawling, to dying. The vultures had already found him. She turns back towards their cave.
Wary for ambush, she approaches the side of the outcrop. Weariness from bare back riding is no excuse for carelessness. Grynn uses the climb over the rocks as a chance to stretch her stiff legs.
Sure enough, they'd made a small camp, and were trying to boil the nasty water they'd dug up. One was asleep by the fire, the other, fighting sleep at his lookout post. Both simple targets, but the wind hasn't died down yet, so Grynn draws sword to move in for the kill.
The lookout was more alert than she thought, and scrambled to his feet, picking up his blade. He shouted to wake his friend.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am

Grynn dashes to the center of the clearing in front if the cave. Drawing her swords. She calls out the bandits.
One of you will live a few hours longer than the other. Either decide amongst yourselves or I'll decide for you.


Last edited by WryRai on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:44 am

The huddled survivors make panicked sounds, but they are indistinct. A closer look reveals these men are not entirely whole. An ear is missing there, fingernails there. They all share a common feature: both tongues and teeth have been removed.
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:16 pm

It would seem neither of you are of any use to me.Without prepared food, you'll starve in the desert. I can't let you leave, I can't take you with me, I can't even get information out of you. Death seems like it would be a kindness for your existence.
She begins to walk towards them, head bowed, swords pointed down and away from her hips. As she nears there fire, the light plays shadows on her face, twisting her solemn expression of unwilling duty into a grim visage of an uncaring psychopath. Their hearts seize with terror as she raises her blades, looking as a raven spreading its wings to take flight. A split second swish sees skulls severed from spines.
Those two will haunt me, even though they were affiliated with Bane. That terror, that was no way for a man to die.
She cleans and sheathes he blades, and returns to the horse. It's a slower ride back to the group, she needs to process what just happened.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Grynn rides in to a "passable" camp, mostly bedrolls on open ground upwind from the battlefield. Siege's injuries have been well treated, but his body will have to knit itself back together. Eredil looks drained of blood and magic, yet stands leaning on her staff, watching for Grynn to return safely. Soekk is no where to be seen, but his portable fortress casts a bit of shade in the setting sun, Battleshifter is taking advantage of.
They weren't able to give any information. They aren't able to signal for reinforcements either.
Grynn dismounts the horse, shakes open her bedroll, and sits down with her armor on. She's very tired from battle and riding, and the deep wound in her shoulder hasn't been treated other than the holy water to halt the necrotic energy and a single weak spell to stop the bleeding.
If I sleep in this blood-soaked armor it'll likely fuse to my skin.
She pours out the waterskin to loosen the dried blood, and begins removing armor, cloak, tunic and shirt. She treats her wound with another small spell, wraps herself in a blanket and falls asleep.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Looks like I have watch. Alright, better get moving.

Erredil wanders out from camp a short distance, with only her cloak to ward off the chill desert air. The sky overhead is perfectly clear and full of stars. She takes a moment to remove the cloth from her eyes, wanting to take in the sight unimpeded. For a moment, she is a young soldier again. One about to take her first look at the night sky.

With little else to do except stare and think, her tired mind begins to wander. She thinks of that first fateful meeting with Hattori, Obeyz and Suri. Of meeting Melgar and Hawk, and later Brighteyes, Battleshifter and Grynn. Seeing Elventree for the first time, the battle for Shadowdale.... her torture and eventual murder at Cyric's hand. She recalls the battles of the Blood War, of having to mercy kill the one she came to love.

The voice of the Mad God echoes through her mind. With a single sentence, it points out every failure and broken promise.

YOU ARE WEAK.

She falls to her knees with her hands clenched into tight fists. With a voice quaking with anger, she yells out to the empty desert.

Damn you! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Whu?Huh?
*Does a back roll out of bed, picking her swords out of the sand. Ends on her feet, weapons drawn*
What's wrong? How many of them are there? Why am I half-naked
Grynn looks around, and sees no one attacking. She sets down her swords and wraps herself in her blanket; then walks up behind Erredil, who has fallen to her knees in torment.
Whats bothering you, friend?
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:03 am

*Looks slightly embarrassed.*

Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. It's, ah... a little complicated.

I left the Halls with the intent to preserve lives, not take them. Experiencing perfect peace completely changed me. You know my sworn oath, to work violence only to defend. Up until this conflict began I had done well in keeping it.

I know what we are doing is right. That we have little other choice. And I will not... can not, stand idly by as the quiet places of the world fall into darkness. But I've been fighting for too long, Grynn. It feels like I'm losing myself. I can hear Cyric's voice in my head sometimes. It reminds me of things I'd rather leave forgotten. It calls me weak.

I'm starting to wonder if it's right.  
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:34 am

Heh, hehe,*snort* HA HAHAHAHAHA
Grynn joins Erredil on the ground.
Eventually gaining control of herself, she stands, looking as authoritative as a woman wrapped in a blanket can.
You, survived the Blood wars. You, stood by me to defeat Bane. You, traveled for months with Obez and Melgar. You, did all this after experiencing the perfect peace of Elysium. Obviously some deity values your life, your impact on this realm. But more importantly I value your presence, your strong morals help me keep my own in check. Let my morale help you keep fighting the good fight.
*Lifts Erredil's head to look her in the eyes*
Cyric is a manipulative slime, and most every word I've heard him speak is a taunt. Do not let him guide you when your own god still lives. If you cannot trust my words, seek the wisdom of Eldath.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:26 pm

A grateful smile crosses her lips.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. You really have grown while we were apart. I couldn't ask for a better friend.

I should meditate and re-center myself while there is still time. We're walking back into part of the Blood War, after all. You said you were on the Elysian front for a time. Are you ready to face it again?
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Grynn see's this conversation is going to last a while longer, so she begins cleaning her wound again.
During the "day" time (since Elysium is perpetual twilight) the main battles can be avoided. It's the "night" time ambushes that are a problem. Actually, I'm pretty sure "you" saved me from one. Its not so bad at a blind sprint portal to portal, but the time it takes to find this portal within Elysium could be dangerous.
She puts on a clean shirt.
We do have some clues to help us find the portal. Bright Eyes mentioned shes at essentially the front lines of the mortal war. Maybe the Gnome can point us in the right direction, since he's drawn to battle. Also, it's likely the Blood Wars are likely also drawn to combat, so the fighting may be thicker around the portal. Finally Bright Eyes mentioned a volcano near the nearest forest to her, intense heat like that might radiate across dimensions.
Quite awake now, Grynn gets a large pot from the wagon and fills it with water. She soaks her stained clothes in the pot, and uses a rag and some sand to scrub the blood from her armor.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by ClockworkPanda on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Here, let me help you with that. I could take a look at your wound as well, if you'd like.

Erredil reaches down into her shirt and lifts out her holy symbol. With a simple incantation and a quick gesture, the armor is once again clean.

It's possible I helped defend you. Everything between leaving Baator and waking up in Scardale is an indistinct blur.

Those clues narrow it down. There aren't many volcanoes on this continent, and fewer that are still active. If we have to guess, Mount Hotenow wouldn't be a bad choice. Assuming the front is near Waterdeep it would match her description. I've never been there but I have heard stories. You could say it's a hotbed for fire elementals and red dragons. If that is our destination then we may have a difficult time working our way through.

We could seek the gnome's fortress and seek an escort. Though that may take time we don't have. Regardless of if we decide to push through on our own, we will need to rely on your survival skill to find the best path.
avatar
ClockworkPanda
GM
GM

Posts : 26
Join date : 2015-12-15
Age : 24
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:25 am

Oh, just like the day I bought it. Is there nothing magic can't do?
Changes back into her armor, tests its fit, is pleased.
Alright, you've need to meditate, to get in touch with someone. I'm awake now, and my wound's nearly healed. I'll take watch for a few hours.
Straps on her weapons and climbs atop the cart to get a vantage of the flat wastes that surround them. On the Eastern horizon, she can just make out the familiar skyline of tree tops. She Breathes deep, trying to get a whiff of nature, but its still too far off for her nose.
Snort would already be excited, it would have been hard to get him to stop and rest. We should be there before tomorrow evening.
If anyone were looking they'd see her sitting, back straight. But as she gazes briefly at the stars, she remembers the friends shes lost, and sheds a tear for each.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by WryRai on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:12 pm

A few hours of silence does both of them good. Eventually Grynn let's the elf take over watch so she can finish resting.
The next morning everyone helps load up and leave on an early start. to A bit Soekks dismay. They make good time across the remaining sdeert and enter Gulthmere. The shade and greenery are welcome sights to all.
avatar
WryRai
Admin
Admin

Posts : 47
Join date : 2015-12-14
Age : 26
Location : Arizona

https://wryrai.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: D20 HQ to Gulthmere Forest

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum